There is no specific dosage for CBD although most product labels will specify a single dose. Effective doses are dependent on the user's body type and tolerance towards CBD. If treating pain and discomfort then the effective dose would depend on how acute the symptoms are.
As a CBD oil guide it is important to consideration various factors which influence dosage. Furthermore, dosages can be influenced by the type of CBD product been utilized. Related CBD hemp oil effects need to be considered if consuming CBD in higher than normal amounts.
Important: These are only recommendations used for research purposes and you should consult a medical professional before use.
• Concentration: Concentration or strength is the all-round amount of CBD in a particular product singular dose. It is measured in mg or milligrams and denotes the CBD amount labelled. For example, let's presume a CBD tincture bottle had 750mg concentration and has 30ml of tincture with 1ml been the labelled serving size. Therefore, each 1ml serving will contain 25mg CBD approximately. Confusion sometimes lies where the single dosage is as per the strength labelled on the product but this is the overall concentration of the product.
• Body Mass: The weight of the consumer is an important determining factor of the amount of CBD effect on the body. Normally, larger individuals require high doses to have soothing experience from CBD. A person with a lower body weight would experience these effects with a lower dose.
• Effectiveness: For most people, the perfect dose is decided based on pain level and the discomfort they are facing. Few with acute pain or chronic anxiety might require higher doses to alleviate symptoms. Whilst individuals with mild pain will only require a lower dosage to treat effectively.
• Resilience: Like with any drug if taken for extended periods the body can build up resilience. Intake of the same quantities of doses could develop a tolerance of CBD in the user. Two options would be to come off the drug or to gradually increase the dosage to yield the positive effects.
Dosage Based on Body Mass
Body weight can be a contributing factor to CBD oil effectiveness. Below is a table which breaks down the effective dosage based on body weight as a starting dose for new users. For research purposes an estimate of what would be an effective dose:
Important: This is only noted for research purposes and is an estimate of what would be an effective dose. It is important you seek a medical professional’s advice prior to use.
For a few consumers, stronger doses than the listing above might be beneficial. These consumers might be suffering from higher agony levels or exhausting symptoms and who have a raised CBD resilience. CBD is non-toxic and by eventual increases of dose will not have any known CBD oil side effects. In most cases, a slow and gradual increase in CBD dosage until benefits are felt is a better approach rather than a large dose increase.
Every CBD product is different so this is not a one rule fits all products. Some products may not be tolerated in larger doses than others.
Different Product / Different Dosage
With such a wide array of the best CBD oil products it’s hard to pick one which is right for you and has the best effective dose:
Tinctures and Oils
These types of concentrated CBD products are infused with meals or applied below the tongue. Oils and tinctures are generally supplied in dropper bottles of 15ml to 30ml; though the variation of concentration can be seen from 75mg to 4000mg. The main point to remember in the tincture dosage is that each serving size is 1ml only (see label). In a tincture with strength of 1000mg in a 30ml bottle; then 1ml will have approx. 33.3mg CBD. While in a 100mg concentrated CBD tincture; all 30 servings will have 3.3mg of CBD approximately. Both servings are different and therefore promote a huge difference in CBD oil effects.
As a new user it is advised to start with a low product concentration and find your best side effect to benefit ratio. Another important thing to remember is that the absorption of the tincture is slower than the other products; hence the effects are not noticeable instantly, though the effects comparatively last for 3 to 4 hours. For the best results, a 1ml tincture serving should be held sublingually (under the tongue) for 60 seconds.
The CBD oil for vape is obtained from the hemp plant which is prepared by suspending the extract with propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin. It is important to know how to vape CBD oil safely. The CBD oil mixed with accompanying agent is vaporized and inhaled by using a vape mod, device or pen. The battery powered devices heat the liquid dose and the vapor from the dose is inhaled. Unlike tincture products its affects are instant and retain a calming feel for at least an hour. Lasting effects can be obtained by using a vape device multiple times over an extended period and longer duration of holding the vapor before exhale. In most scenarios, 2 to 3 seconds of inhaling and vapor retention for 5 seconds give out the most effective and long-term effects.
Vape oils are just like tinctures in terms of strength/ concentration. Majority of vape oils are packed in 30ml bottles; 1-1.5 ml/ serving or as labelled. Vape oil concentrations vary from 100mg to 1800mg; which means that each serving will have 3.3mg to 60mg of CBD. Several vape devices are created to fit cartridges to hold the vape oil to heat and their storage capacity varies though 1.5ml is the basic size. Most of these vape products contain a flavoring compound which is normally from a natural ingredient for taste. CBD vape oil without flavoring has been noted to taste quite bitter and unpleasant.
The edible form of CBD products includes gummies, capsules, etc products that are ingested orally. Just like the tinctures; being ingested orally it takes time for the onset effects, though the impacts last much longer once felt. Edibles usually take around an hour to reach effectiveness after consumption; based on its concentration the effects can last 4-5 hours.
Dosage determination is comparatively easy, as each edible serving has the same size and pre-defined dosage as listed on the product label. The concentration range for gummies and capsules is 5mg to 100mg per dose. Be aware as with tinctures and vape the overall tub/bottle strength will be noted on product labelling. It is important to identify the dose per edible.
CBD concentrates are used in topical applications such as creams, oils, lotions ointments and balms. These products are made for direct application on areas of localized pain on the skin (epidermis) for transdermal absorption.
Topicals are also an alternative method for consumers that do not wish to take the cannabidiol compound orally; rather CBD binds with ECS receptors through the epidermis layer. Where the pain or inflammation is located a direct application to that area can help soothe the pain and encourage repair. People use CBD topicals to get alleviation from muscular or joint related pains, discomfort caused by stings or bites and even burns. Several topicals are infused with additional antioxidants and moisturizing agents to replenish and repair skin. While others have other soothing and anti-inflammatory compounds added to help compliment CBD for pain relief.
Deciding topical dosage can be complicated as the ‘serving' portion depends on the amount of topical applied on the skin. Most CBD topicals in the market at present have a concentration range of 200mg to1800mg. People who go through the discomfort of adverse pain usually find high-concentration topicals have the best alleviating effects.
Summary of CBD Products Dosages
The table below outlines the general dosage approach and quantity for all the CBD products listed:
CBD Oil Risks
Several CBD oil reviews done on animals and humans prove that a few minor risks come with CBD use:
✔ Lack of information: The number of studies done on animals is comparatively more than those done on human subjects. There is the availability of less data on CBD effects on children or CBD long-term effects like after years of CBD intake.
✔ Toxicology: Even though many experiments show that CBD has low to zero toxicity, not all possible connections have been looked over. Future researches on CBD will only be guaranteed by looking further into its effect hormone secretion and the immune system.
✔ Regulation Lack: Cannabis legislations are still subject to many terms and conditions which can affect the strength and supply of products. Over regulation can lead to variations in product quality.
✔ Links with other Pharmaceutics: Research has found that CBD oil can increase the absorption rate of other medicines taken concurrently with CBD. CBD and various other cannabinoids can impede the P450 liver enzyme; which is responsible for breaking down medical drugs. Also important to note, CBD can affect the indigestion of medicines like steroids, anti-histamines, and anti-epileptics.
✔ Over-dose: There has been no recorded overdose of CBD oil as with other cannabinoids. The experiments point out that consumers can endure high doses of CBD safely individual dependant. Though high-doses can increase the side effects like nausea and sleepiness. Larger doses may not be as beneficial as smaller or moderate doses.
CBD Oil Side Effects
As with any supplement or drug there are side effects of CBD oil use which have been noted in human use:
• Appetite and Weight changes: As with most cannabinoids CBD oil can promote slight increases in appetite. Any increase from normal calorie consumption can result in weight gain if this energy is not efficiently burnt through increased exercise.
• Tiredness: CBD oil is a natural sleeping aid med and it provokes the feeling of sleepiness in the consumer. This side effect is dose dependant and also how CBD is consumed can affect the onset and length of this side effect.
• Dizziness: CBD consumption leads to ephemeral blood pressure drop. If the consumer already suffers from low blood pressure this can result in light-headed and dizzy spells. These will normally stabilise as blood pressure reaches a normal level.
• Diarrhea: High doses of CBD oil can result in diarrhea. It is advised for users to take either split doses or to limit their dosage to a level which does not cause this effect.
• Dry-mouth: CBD oil consumption affects the salivary production in the mouth leading to “cotton mouth”. Users tend to alleviate these symptoms through consuming more liquids.
• Drowsiness: As an effective sleep aid and pain relief med the results of this can be mild drowsiness. It is important to note that CBD oil product use should be halted or controlled if the user operates heavy machinery or drives vehicles for a profession.